Friday, December 2, 2011

San Diego Here We Come (Just Got to Pack My Shoes





San Diego here we come



It was early October but still warm.  The thing about Tucson is summer can stretch on and on.  I needed a change. 

“Is this ready?” asked Jack, my helpful husband, eyeing the suitcase lying on the bed.  At this point, it looked like it was ready to give birth.

“Just about honey, give me a minute.  I have a couple of little things to slip in”.

“We’re only going to be gone a week, you do know that?” Jack asked.  One eyebrow rose, and he managed to look very serious, as if this was a political debate.  I always fell in love with him all over again when he did this.  I couldn’t raise one eyebrow at a time, especially looking as earnest as he did.

“I need what I need.  I guess I could just buy stuff out there.  Hmm…yes, that’s a good idea honey.  I’ll just buy new shoes, why bring them?  You are so smart”, I replied, giving Jack a winning smile, knowing this would totally confuse him. 

I read it is good to make your husband feel smart, so always try to compliment him when I can.

“What?  How many pairs of shoes do you need?  I’m only bringing two, sandals for the beach and my running shoes”.

“Please, hon, are you kidding me?  You know my podiatrist said I shouldn’t wear the same shoes every day.  That’s what causes foot pain.  You men don’t care what you wear.  You wear the wrong shoes all the time.  Are you wearing those Rockport’s you have on with your chinos and your dress pants?  You are so cute.”  I shook my head and raised my eyebrows to rival his, crinkling my forehead in concern as I awaited his response.

“Huh?”  What’s wrong with them?  They’re comfortable.”

“Uh, huh…”  I replied, “I know honey and that’s why I love you…that’s your stock response for I have no fashion sense.  No matter, you are the best husband ever”.

I put my open toed silver patent heels in the front pocket of my suitcase and shoved in my cute Kenneth Cole bejeweled thongs alongside.  The walking shoes went in the separate pocket inside along with my black strappy sandals.  “Okay, now, it’s ready.  You’re right, I don’t need another thing.”

Jack beamed.  Good husband that he is, he removed the huge bag without further complaint and loaded it into our CRV.  He is well trained, efficient and strong.

Jack returned and grabbed his overnight case with a couple of his necessary things and a garment bag with the three or four items of clothing he was bringing.  I checked my overnight case to make sure I had my needed supply of cosmetics, toiletries and other accoutrements, threw my purse over my shoulder, and followed Jack out to the garage. 

We both went back in for a final check of the house.  I grabbed a jacket, long sleeved denim shirt, shawl and sweater from the closet…just in case and a couple of magazines and books for the car.  After shoving those in the back seat, I ran back in to get a pillow and fleece throw.  Jack came out with my overnight case and started the car.  He got back out, and ran in to get whatever it was he forgot.  This is a ritual.  I know he also double checked doors and windows and turned off any lights I might have left on and turned the thermostat to a suitable temperature. 

He returned and sat down.

“Hon, did you get your cap, sunglasses, wallet and everything else?”

Jack looked at me and squinted, like he did when he was thinking and left again, returning shortly wearing his cap.

 I settled myself in our vehicle, clicking the seat to lay back and closed my eyes as he pulled out of our driveway.  We took off for San Diego at 8 a.m. 

At 11 a.m., we stopped for a quick breakfast along Interstate 8 and bought a couple of snacks at the gas station to keep us going for the rest of the drive.  We hit San Diego at 4:00 p.m. and checked into the beachfront hotel.  The first thing Jack did was check the phone book and peruse restaurants to figure out where to go for dinner.  One thing I can say for my hubby is we shall never go hungry.  While he did that I unpacked, I had a lot to do before dinner.
copywrite Patabit PAFA

No comments:

Post a Comment