Sunday, May 4, 2014

Pat's Guide to Spring Organizing

 
We’ve been in our house for 15 years and today I worked on cleaning out clutter in our office.  The goal is to get some organization going.  I’ve been getting around to doing this for about a year but one thing or another got in the way, like my lack of will.  God help me, focus and order are not my strong suits.


I usually…sometimes… can lay hands on what I or someone else am looking for, but it might take an hour or day or two.  Occasionally, I stumble upon a “lost” object long forgotten about several months after I’ve forgotten about it.  Needless to say, I could use a new method of being…shall I say.


My husband thinks I have too much stuff.  I won’t agree with that, at least not to his face, but secretly to myself I have to say that is part of the problem.  But it’s not because I buy too much.  It’s because I think I don’t have a particular item and buy it…only to find I do indeed have a pair or three of scissors, but one is in the junk drawer and I couldn’t see it, one was in the office under a pile of what nots and the other was in the bathroom drawer.  Oh, well, you see my problem?



I do know all the rules of putting things back where they belong and making sure things have a home, I just don’t follow them.  There seems to be so many other more pressing things to do…like, ummm...I can’t think of anything right now but I’ll let you know.


Anyway, I haven’t finished straightening out the office yet, but I did spend a good two hours on it today.  I threw out a bag full of absolutely useful stuff and paper items I definitely no longer need; no one does.  I set aside some articles to donate.


The result: my living room has one large plastic storage bin full of old work books, training materials and files, a wicker basket with some writing materials, an empty leather carry tote, two bins of photographs, a box of stuff to carry to the garage and a folder full of random paper stuff I must figure out what to do with.

I feel good.  Tomorrow I organize the living room.

No comments:

Post a Comment